All registered users may post replies

Desperatly trying to find ad!Please help

Author Post
TommyD

Member #: 3263
Level:
Posted: 9th Feb, 2011 12:50 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

I have been desperately trying to find this advertisement for sometime now but I have come up short. If anyone could help me out I would be so grateful.

The ad itself started with an old gentleman walking through the grounds of a beautiful mansion (he eventually walks into the main house itself) As he is walking he is listing off all the things he has achieved in his life, all the countries he has been to, all the things he has done, that he has children and grandchildren and won and lost a fortune. Basically all the thing she has done in his full life. I remember watching it many years ago and it was very powerful, been looking for iever since.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
cully

Member #: 435
Level:
Posted: 9th Feb, 2011 11:50 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
I'm sure I remember this ad as well, Tommy, and I THINK it was for a car (Volkswagen).

I think the point was his VW or a series of them reflected his successful life...

An 80s ad? 90s at the latest.
TommyD

Level:
Posted: 9th Feb, 2011 6:34 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Hi Cully,

Thanks for the reply! Yes it was a fantastic advert, i remember thinking at the time it was very powerful, but I was to young to have appreciated it. But its popped into my mind alot recently and I would love to find it!
I would definitely say it was the 90's or even possible early 20's...I was born in 86 and im certain I saw it as a teenager...and for some reason I thought it was for a bank or possibly a credit card?! I will check out car adverts now you have mentioned it though as that rings a bell also...

Thanks for your reply, I will keep searching. But for now the mystery continues........
KikiV27

Member #: 3297
Level:
Posted: 11th Mar, 2011 11:30 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
It's not the old Barclays commercial is it, with Anthony Hopkins? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dn6lI0YCO8
TommyD

Level:
Posted: 26th May, 2011 12:14 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
Ahh no Kirk it isnt. This is fantastic ad and quite similar... however in the one I am looking for I definitely recall an old man (perhaps with a walking stick) walking through the grounds of a huge mansion...talking about all his achievements in his life. He kind of lists them off as he is walking, things like how he has 6 children and seven grandchildren...has run out countless passports...has won and lost a fortune etc. etc. It was a great advert, very inspiriing...

Thank you for your help though, the quest continues!!
cully

Level:
Posted: 26th May, 2011 12:14 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Here we go, Tommy! The actor is John Quentin who, many years before, made many comical Croft Original sherry ads.

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie.php?filename=TA1898

If you have trouble in getting the URL up (as this site doesn't open ads for you), go to the Telly Ads site and look for "last" under the letter L..
TommyD

Level:
Posted: 27th May, 2011 11:21 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Cully,

Words cannot express how how thankful I am to you for finding this! I have been looking for so long for it...its weird i must have seen this like, a decade ago and its always stuck with me. Very inspiring indeed.

Thanks so much for putting the time in to locate this, im very grateful. If our paths ever cross the beers are on me!

Kind Regards,

Tommy
cully

Level:
Posted: 28th May, 2011 11:03 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
Glad to help, Tommy!