All registered users may post new topics
All registered users may post replies

Go to work on an egg

Author Post
welshman

Member #: 2736
Level:
Posted: 19th Oct, 2009 3:04 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Who wrote this headline in 1957? Fay Weldon denies writing it. She says she was head of copy at Mather & Crowther when it was written. Possible suspects are Michael Twogood or Anthony Shaffer. I need this as part of my MA online degree in English Studies. I know it is ancient history but it was the inspiration that decided me to be a copywriter.
cully

Member #: 435
Level:
Posted: 19th Oct, 2009 3:36 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Len Fulford is another suspect as he was the director of the campaign, according to Wikipedia.

Gap of 5 minutes while I surfed the www about this...

I've found a reference to Fay Weldon saying she was taught how to cook well "by the woman who wrote the slogan".

So, if you find the names of all the people involved in the project....it was one of the women but not Fay!
welshman

Member #: 2736
Level:
Posted: 21st Oct, 2009 7:00 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
Thanks cully. Still looking.
pandwass

Member #: 2746
Level:
Posted: 26th Oct, 2009 3:14 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Try Murray Walker, the F1 commentator.
pandwass

Level:
Posted: 26th Oct, 2009 3:14 PM | Reply | Reply with quote
Try Murray Walker, the F1 commentator.
pandwass

Level:
Posted: 16th Nov, 2009 11:32 AM | Reply | Reply with quote
I may have got his wrong. Murray Walker left the army having attained the rank of captain and then worked in advertising for Dunlop and Aspro. He was then employed by the Masius advertising agency, with clients including Mars, [2] Vauxhall Motors and British Rail. He did not retire from this until the age of 59, long after he was famed as a commentator. He also briefly competed in motorcycle races himself.

Murray is often wrongly attributed with having invented the famous slogan "A Mars a day helps you work rest and play": "[it] was something that I administered, but I never invented it. I'll tell you how it got ascribed to me. It got put into an obituary file, maybe all of my obituary files, and I can't get rid of it. It's amazing the way it sticks." [3]

Murray did, however, create the slogan 'Trill makes budgies bounce with health' - a famous advertising slogan for bird seed in the 1960s.

I still recollect reading somewhere that MW was responsible for "Go to work on an Egg" bit I can't find the source.